Friday, May 27, 2011

The Great Debate

Yesterday was it. The last day. A day to myself that won't be seen again in approximately 20 weeks. As of today, I'm officially a full time working mom again.


I get two days of a week to spend with my babies. I miss 5 bedtimes and 3 whole days. My schedule does allow me to spend more awake time with my babies than a 9-5er would, but I miss dinner, bedtime and bathtime. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, I'll only see my husband on the two nights I have off and Sunday mornings


You see, I manage a seasonal restaurant. I'm there, a lot! It's my "other" family. And I do LOVE my job. I love seeing people I know come into the restaurant. I love when people enjoy their dinner and their experience. It makes me proud, of my staff, of where we live, of the hard work the owners have put into their business. It's a requirement of mine to be believe in the business I work for.


I can't really complain. I do get six months off a year. But that time goes by so fast and then it's summer. And now there are two babies. There's a possibility I miss the first time Little Lady crawls or pulls herself up or even says her first baby word.  


Then I think of all the parents who have to be away from their babies for different reason, the military moms who don't get to see their babies for months, sometimes years. Moms who travel for work or who have to share custody of their babies. It makes me realize that as much as I might miss on those few months of hard work, it is still the right choice for our family right now. It allows me more opportunity with my babies while they are little than anything else. (aside from having a more than a few weeks of vacation time another job might offer).


I get to be a stay at home mom AND a working mom. Neither is easy. But if I could choose, I would stay home, just for now, until preschool.  So I guess I've got the next best thing. Thanks for helping me put it in perspective.


Would you be a stay at home mom if you could? If you do stay at home, what do you miss about working, if anything?

~ Cerina

2 comments:

  1. I feel I have the best of both worlds- I work and bring my kids with me. Dan watches them while he works int he office, and I take the baby up front while I work, if I can. I pop over for lunch, breaks, or anytime I want. It is one of the benefits of being a business owner (though we get no vacations!). One of my staffers also has a baby, and she brings him with her to work in her Ergo (yes, you were right- I LOVE mine, too!) and transitions him to a pack and play near the register. It works well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hai bisogno di scaricare musica gratis?! Visita questo sito web. Cerchi musica gratis su internet?
    Down hill skiting Games

    ReplyDelete